Best self defense martial art | Page 3

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by shakuswordsman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Warrior76 Blue Belt

Warrior76
    Learning official martial arts is overrated IMO. I learned all my stand up just watching UFC. Watch some UFC and lift some heavy weights and you're good to go.

jcandoitbig and ssullivan80 like this.
  2. fluffball Brown Belt

fluffball
    I know you're trying to troll, but this is a pretty good answer. People don't generally target jacked, healthy people. Prevention is worth more than a lifetime of martial arts experience, not even up for debate.

3. ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

ssullivan80
    Honestly, in all likelihood if you're in a "streetfight" chances of it staying on the feet are slim to none..... You're gonna end up on the ground. The last guy you ever want to be in a streetfight with is a good wrestler (+1 if he can box), and if you're eluding to "self defense" being a 1-1 fight...... I'd say being a good wrestler would be the most efficient, a guy blitzing with punches or throwing loopy haymakers is awful easy for a good wrestler to dump on his back, and a size differnce is much easier to overcome if your the guy on top of the other guy.

That said, IMO "self defense" scenarios aren't often 1-1 fist fights. Typically your caught off guard, outnumbered, or there's a weapon involved, etc........ Hence, Track n field and conditioning is your best bet....... Just be able to run faster and farther! If that's not an option, find something heavy, hard, sharp, etc and start acting like an insane weapon weilding maniac in hopes of detering the confrontation. I.E: Find something sharp, cut your own hand and yell "Im HIV positive and I bite" as you're shaking that bloody hand at your potential assailant.......

fluffball likes this.
  4. frango Blue Belt

frango
    im into the self defense mind set too.
    im leaving krav maga after six years of training. schedule issues...

i intend to start boxing to improve fists.
    bjj for the fun
    and judo to combine with bjj.

so, for me thats it: boxing, judo, bjj.

5. Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

Marvin Covar
    Dang straight. There are actually quite a few legit Krav Maga places springing up. To OP, if you're pressed for time or if you're a bit impatient, just how to box properly and add in a few choice wrestling techniques and you should be good.

6. n.diazismylife1999 Black Belt

n.diazismylife1999
    Cringeworthy to notice how many people even on full contact MA forums are conditioned to give the pussy advice of "just hand over your wallet", "running is the best self defense", "you can't fight against weapons."

Well, I guess some people have no problem with being a sheep. "T-t-t-there's my wallet, my lord, may I do anything else for you, please?"

Of course, if you have to ask for a self defense martial art when you're an adult, you likely lack the spirit to be a fighter (as opposed to someone who knows some techniques and how to execute them). Self defense is fucking easy, just train a martial art like you mean it, 99%+ of people out there have no fucking idea how to fight, you can beat them just by having decent footwork and athleticism.

7. Tayski Purple Belt

Tayski
    Giving out your possessions might not be the most 'tough guy' thing to do at first thought, but it can definitely save your life.

I know a guy who's been living in Thailand several years to train and fight in Muay Thai at a decent level. Some local gangster pulled a knife on him just outside Bangkok and asked for his watch. Having a similar mentality to yours he of course refused to give his watch and the guy attacked him with the blade. Now with all that training he's been doing for years in Muay Thai he managed to beat the guy unconscious after a bit of a scuffle, but through the struggle he got stabbed several times on the hands, arms, and back and had massive open gashes pretty much everywhere on his upper body and ended up in hospital + no training/fighting for several months and now he has massive scars. And he got lucky as one of the stabs could have been fatal. Was all of that really worth not giving his watch? I don't think so.

8. n.diazismylife1999 Black Belt

n.diazismylife1999
    Of course it can save your life. Kneeling and bowing and groveling can also save your life and/or save you from a beating. Sucking up to people and doing what they want is a great way to go on living.

The question, of course, is whether that's what you want to do with your one unique life that's over anyways in the blink of an eye. You'll be dead an infinity. You'll be alive an infinitely short time. Whether you die at 20 or 76 makes no real difference in the grand scheme of things. "It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep." Corny as the quote is, I subscribe to it. I won't be handing out anything without a fight, and I'm willing to die in a fight. I prefer living that way and taking the risk that someone better or luckier will one day come along and I'll die, rather than bending over and living to an old age (potentially -- so many unrelated things can kill you even if you're the best sheep that ever sheeped). And you know what? Having the attitude that you won't bend over makes it less likely for people to try to bend you over (e.g., rob you). Muggers want prey, not opponents. When they're not too fucked up to make observations, that is. I've had a couple of muggers interview me for the victim role. They walked away without pulling anything.

So that guy you know -- he might think it was worth it, not giving his watch. Maybe not. It's a decision everyone has to make for themselves. Firearms and knives are also one reason it pays to cross-train in non-combat sports, it's a whole different ball game from a fair fight in a ring. As is any real self defense scenario. Muay Thai alone doesn't give the best tools for dealing with that, and knives, while dangerous, don't make anyone a superhuman. You just need to train properly. Like Musashi said, you can only fight the way you practice.

9. ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

ssullivan80
    There's a difference between "self-defense" and "defending someone else". It's a matter of priority bro and making a decision between handing over my wallet (which all contents are easily replaceable) and potentially risking my life, well...... here's my fucking wallet. If that makes me a pussy, so be it. I'd prefer that to being "a tough guy" with a headstone. The "spirit of being a fighter" is more about the cause you're willing to fight for as it is the fight itself. That said, "defending someone else" is a different story. Personally, I have a daughter and if there were a situation where I felt she were at risk I'd take no hesitation to stand in front of someone with a weapon/etc. But If I arrogantly chose to do so for mere "self defense", then I risk not being able to do so for her. Hence, if it's a matter of "self defense", I'll default to "self preservation" and you're damn right. I'll be a track star if need be because my priorities aren't to risk my life for my wallet and potentially not be there to "defend" a cause far more important.

As for your last response above/below "It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep." I don't diagree, but even the proudest lion doesn't seek out a battle if it's avoidable and doesn't pose a threat to the pride, but he'll defend his pride (family) to the death without hesitation. That quote's often used when referring to soldiers. Who may I add, aren't in "self defense" scenarios. They are "defending" and fighting for a cause far beyond themselves, and they've made a selfless and honorable choice to do so. So to compare "self-defense" when speaking of risking your life for your wallet vs the beforementioned........ It's neither comparable nor is it relevant and it only goes to show arrogance addressing it as such. Get real brotha, or keep on believing your footwork and athleticism is so superior to 99% of people out there that whether or not they have a knife your "inner lion" will prevail..... if not, you'll be the "sheep" that gets skinned.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Sansara likes this.
  10. n.diazismylife1999 Black Belt

n.diazismylife1999
    I can understand not wanting to risk your life unless necessary if you have a daughter.

Talking about prides and lions seeking battles is taking the metaphor and running too far with it. Lions, the animals, aren't especially brave. The quote means the (non-existent) "spirit of a lion", not the actual animal.

I don't have to "believe" my footwork and athleticism is better than 99% of people out there. I know it. I've been fighting since I was five years old. I've been doing martial arts since then, too. I had my growth spurt very late, and for the majority of my youth I was fighting people two heads taller than me. I've fought people who don't train, and I've seen countless and countless of people in a dozen different martial arts who're just starting out. As a consequence, I have very little fear of anyone who hasn't dedicated themselves seriously to a full contact martial art. Guns and knives always add the "shitty luck" factor, but they are just extensions. They don't make anyone into ninjas. A mugger with a gun is just a mugger with an object that sends smaller objects at high speeds where the bigger object is pointed. Yeah, someone who has a proper grip, whose gun never wavers, who stays at the proper distance at all times -- I'll hand out my wallet, the odds are way too bad there. The vast, vast majority of muggers who will get in your face with a gun, waving it, taking it off you, accepting your wallet hand-to-hand? I'll take my chances. As a rule, you won't run into professionals doing muggings. Those will move onto robberies.

11. ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

ssullivan80
    Professionals with guns don't worry me, as you noted, they don't mug people. Cowards with guns do worry me, and whether or not I could or couldn't get past that gun isn't a decision i'd be willing to risk if all I'm risking is to lose is a wallet with replacable contents. That logic, isn't brave, it's foolish.

12. Oldguy Blue Belt

Oldguy
    Here is the way I look at it. The military has to fight on land, sea, and air. It is three dimensional. You have to do the same:

Land - stand up fighting
    Sea - ground fighting
    Air - weapons

You have to be 3 dimensional to be at your maximum effectiveness. Pick the right tool for the job. If you are unfortunate enough to be in a San Bernadino Muzzy shooting, your BJJ guard pulling skills will not save you. You have to have the skill to shoot the Islamic killer in the F-ing face. That takes range time and skill with a handgun you carry every day.

It is all part of the equation.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    n.diazismylife1999 likes this.
  13. Paradigm Gold Belt

Paradigm
    Y'all are so weird with your Muay Maga Fu Do obsessions.

Carry a gun and knife, wear body armor and make sure your jet pack is fully fueled at all times.

All this streetfighting talk is nonsense.

ssullivan80 likes this.
  14. jcgonzmo White Belt

jcgonzmo
    First, you do not need to get a black belt to be able to defend yourself. Maybe 2 -3 years of training and you will be able to fuck up 99.99% of the people out there.
    Second, I would train in arts that do not produce long term damage to your brain. Take out striking arts.
    Third, focus on takedowns and ground fighting. Judo and/or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are the arts to go. If you have to defend yourself against one attacker you can easily take them to the ground and control them. If there are two attackers you can takedown one attacker, and run. Or maybe the second attacker will run. A takedown takes less than a 10 seconds to perform. So It allows you to destroy someone in just 10 seconds and run. If its more than 2 attackers, you can takedown 1 and run.