Did the historical Jesus really exist? | Page 9

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by nick jacoby, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Fedorgasm Red Belt

Fedorgasm
    Unfortunately you can find crowds of people today that go see faith healers and swear that they've seen diseases get healed before their eyes, the crippled get up and walk, and sometimes they even claim the dead came back to life.

This is why I never rely on eyewitness accounts. They're the most misleading evidence you can get.

chickenluver likes this.
  2. Possum Jenkins Red Belt

Possum Jenkins
    Buddha, Socrates, and Jesus all have about a 50-50 chance of actually existing

3. prod2821 Gold Belt

prod2821
    Yeah, certainly wasn't a white hippy hipster looking Jesus, but yes

4. freaky Black Belt

freaky
    Yes, I think he existed but do not believe he was the son of God or whatever. Just like how people even NOWADAYS believe in pastors able to communicate with god or that the world is ending.

I think Jesus was just a hipster SJW who seek attention. His followers especially the ones who said he revived in 3 days were alternating facts aka fake news and people ate it up. It was a time of war and desperation and this young hippie dude had some cool ideas about love and stuff.

People are gullible especially back in ancient times. They will believe anything.
    I believe Buddha existed too. He was a sheltered prince. I can go as far as believing he fed himself to starving eagles cuz he felt bad for having such an awesome life while his citizens were starving. As for finding enlightenment and all that BS were made up after the fact by his admirers. By people who seek an answer as to why he did what he did. "Oh, he must've found enlightenment" "he's in a better place now" etc.

I can believe in just about any historical figure. But all the miracle stuff has to be made up to help them answer questions. Like why are there thunder? Cuz Zeus is mad or some BS.

5. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Bob Gray
    Well, not literally a free ticket. My point is that a few select people were able to bear witness to what would be arguably the most remarkable, as well as unbelievable, event in human existence. At the very least theyd be more likely to believe in his divinity and live their lives accordingly. Being born 2,000 years later doesn't afford such an opportunity which seems rather unjustified given the stakes.

6. Secret Agent TONY CRACKULA

Secret Agent
    Yes, critics are more divided when it comes to hysterical Jesus.

7. Smoking Indoors Brown Belt

Smoking Indoors
    Jesus didn't tap.

8. Jesse Pinkman Life's a risk, carnal

Jesse Pinkman
    He was documented to have existed in Roman history I believe

clutchCAT420 likes this.
  9. DynamicLoosener Grass Fed Free Range Dolce Belt

DynamicLoosener
    i met a guy at a bar and me and my friends became best friends with him because he looked exactly like Jesus..........man Jesus can sure hold his Jaegerbombs......

10. Supereem Black Belt

Supereem
    I know a guy who was supposedly crippled before being cured by a saint. His old crutches are in her Church. I don't know details about his condition but it is interesting how this occurred (staged, placebo effect, etc.).

11. jgarner Black Belt

jgarner
    That must mean it happens a lot! I'm glad I inspire you.

Just because something is written down in a story doesn't make it evidence. It only takes literacy and a writing tool tool. The real evidence is hidden by the church because they don't want real scientists to look at it.

12. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Bob Gray
    No, but if multiple independent sources write down similar things across a broad region in a small amount of time, historians tend to notice. That's why it's called evidence.

What you're saying is that nearly all historians and scholars that ever lived have been wrong, and Jgarner is right. What "real" evidence are you referring to that scientists cant see because of a vast conspiracy?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  13. Tankeray call me ishmael

Tankeray
    Dude, I think he's saying it's been verified by many independent sources- many besides the church (Josephus etc).

So essentially, its not some vast far-reaching conspiracy

14. jgarner Black Belt

jgarner
    Except that doesn't exist for any of Jesus' miracles.

Except it hasn't been verified by independent sources. There aren't even independent assertions of miracles from that time period. Most of the documents were written decades after the fact. It's not like he turned water to wine and fifteen different people wrote about it. When you look at the actual documents available to look at, there aren't that many and they mostly aren't even from the time frame or from a verifiable source.

That's why Christians depend so heavily on faith.

15. 22k Haiku Expert

I bet they all smelled like armpit.

16. 22k Haiku Expert

[​IMG]

17. Cygnus A Purple Belt

Cygnus A
    I'd go so far as to say there may have been a figure around that time who was criticizing the established church, which actually would have been a huge deal. If we have learned nothing else from history, it is don't fuck with the religious leaders running your neck of the woods.

Most of the writings about him didn't happen for 30-60 years after his supposed death. That isn't exactly a good way to document something accurately. Of course apologists say god would have "guided their pen" .

18. ajwbjj87 Black Belt

ajwbjj87
    Like a Charles Manson of sorts

19. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Bob Gray
    Yes, it does. Historians treat the gospels as historical texts. That doesn't mean they're recorded history. It just means they acknowledge that they do contain history in them but many things like bias can distort them.

We essentially agree regarding Jesus' miracles. But I think you'd rather plant your feet and argue over admiting saying something in error, even if it's trivial.

You keep repeating essentially the same position. That because the evidence is not convincing, it is therefore not evidence. I can post the shittiest picture of "Bigfoot" and that would be evidence. The fact that it's shitty evidence doesn't mean it isn't evidence.

You also bring up points that have already replied to in regards to things being written decades after the fact which is actually, given the time period, some of the best evidence historians can acquire. I already posted a reply several times but you may have missed it. I'll do it again. The notion that the earliest writings are from decades after his death is fairly meaningless to experts in the field, given the time period.

20. jgarner Black Belt

jgarner
    The gospels aren't evidence. A photo is evidence. Words that are written down in the gospel are just hearsay. Do you not get the difference?