1. Fresh off her huge victory at UFC Fight Night 105, Randa Markos returns to Sherdog for her second LIVE Q&A, FRIDAY at 3:00 PM EST. Check it out here.
    Dismiss Notice

Frank Mir: "Heavyweights are mentally weaker than other weight classes" | Page 4

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Rum, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Tuf_guy Black Belt

Tuf_guy
    Funny, I was just thinking about this in regards to wrestling. A heavyweight who's athletic and has heart is probably average at worst. Hell, just an aggressive kid with heart is already well on his way to being average with just a bit of experience.

Interesting to hear a fighter who feels the same way regarding MMA

Rum likes this.
  2. Tuf_guy Black Belt

Tuf_guy
    It's interesting that stalling is part of the game for heavyweights. They do fold quickly. I also think you have to factor in their physical builds... it's harder to move and stick it out when things get tough. Also, to be actively exercising on the daily and still be pretty soft, in a lot of cases, that mau be a sign of someone who hasn't been pushing themselves as hard as they coukd.

Rum likes this.
  3. Jkaylor Ohhh I member!

Jkaylor
    Speak for yourself Fronk. JDS has taken Possibly the most vicious beating ever seen inside the cage and didn't give up

4. El Chapo LEGEND

El Chapo
    Sorry. You can't use motherfucking Nog as an example overall toughness in HW's. He's...Nog. :D

5. Willek Black Belt

Willek
    Frank was too busy learning the intricacies of moves that you have never heard the names of.

6. blaseblah Brown Belt

blaseblah
    I'm not sure I've ever seen as much heart as JDS displayed against Cain. Twice. Hell, if the Reem fight had been allowed to go on I bet he probably would've survived and came back to win it.

7. Cooliox Gold Belt

Cooliox
    Overeem takes a punch and quits... Lesnar takes a punch and retires... Bob Sapp cries... Arlovski turtled up against Ngannou and wanted out... Crocop verbally tapped on the feet against JDS... Even Cain panic-wrestled against Werdum and got insta-tapped.

Still, there are tough as nails HWs though. No one can question JDS's willpower, Big Nog is legendary... Fedor...

The thing is, this dominant dudes just don't have much experience being in bad spots... because there are literally only a handful or 2 of people who can physically put them in these positions... and the majority of those people are the opponents, and hence it happens in the cage in front of us all.

Lepo Lepo likes this.
  8. Noraaq Blue Belt

Noraaq
    What Mir is saying might be true, bigger people are less likely to get bullied or get into physical confrontations so they may not be as well equipped to deal with it as well as smaller guys.

Rum likes this.
  9. les elroy Green Belt

les elroy
    Mir has eaten too many goddamn strawberries.

10. Lepo Lepo Blue Belt

Lepo Lepo
    I 100% agree with Frank Mir on this one. If you're a heavyweight fighter in the UFC yo have most likely been able to go through life by having tremendous physical attributes over everyone else. Then imagine getting beat down by someone the same size as you or even smaller. One of the reasons why I respect Brock coming back to win against Carwin.

Rum likes this.
  11. Rum Champion of Champions

Rum
    Frank said Derrick Lewis is mentally tough.

The VERY FIRST SENTENCE IN THE THREAD points that out.

So how the fuck did so many witless dipshits in this thread fail to comprehend that he wasn't calling Fedor and JDS mentally weak, he was making an OBVIOUS generalization?

You're an idiot if you equate what he said to "Pussies don't come in all shapes and sizes."

Please tell me you're not so socially retarded you can't tell when someone is making a generalization.

It would help if you didn't need strangers on the internet to spoonfeed you and just listened to that part of the show for yourself. Then you'd know he gave no "reasoning", he gave it as a statement of an understanding he'd come to as a veteran in the sport.

And LHWs aren't manlets. Now you come across as an imbecile.

He didn't say no HWs were mentally tough you goof.

Keep up.

Generalizations genius.

Look them up.

bubby likes this.
  12. tastaylvr White Belt

tastaylvr
    it's probably because wrestling at 145 is a lot easier than wrestling at 240 lol

too much cope in this thread trying to make themselves look better than they are

13. tastaylvr White Belt

tastaylvr
    By that same token the small guy always has a chip on his shoulder and is most likely to bash untrained people because they said a few words of insult

14. Mixfight Brown Belt

Mixfight

Easy there, geek.

15. frandie2b ------(SALD BELT)------

frandie2b
    I get what he's saying but I think he's wrong.

When you start to gas hard, you're more willing to 'give up', anyone with a little fighting experience knows it.

HWs are more willing to gas than other weighclasses, so that's why Mir thinks they're mentally weaker. They just doesn't have the same endurance.

16. MMAAAM Black Belt

MMAAAM
    <JonesLaugh>

17. eon001 Brown Belt

eon001
    Frank's speaking from experience. He mentally quick before his butt landed.

I understand his logic. HW's are used to being the biggest toughest guy's 95% of the time in any given situation. Even in there own gyms.

They go up against a guy that's the same size as them, it's a bit of a shock. Unlike the lighter weight guy's with the Napoleon complex's and chips on there shoulder.

18. Twelve75 Brown Belt

Twelve75
    this would've been my post if I'd saw this thread before yourself,looks like we're both,along with Mir,very wrong,Sherdog,from its ''know it all'' seat behind a keyboard,has told us so,and after they corrected us,they went off to bang a couple of 9's and 10's

bad seed likes this.
  19. BAZ Rutten Black Belt

BAZ Rutten
  20. avengedsixfold Blue Belt

avengedsixfold
    lol come oooooooooooooooooooon buddy, he's been in there with some killers. My balls look like peanuts next to his fucking melons.