1. Fresh off her huge victory at UFC Fight Night 105, Randa Markos returns to Sherdog for her second LIVE Q&A, FRIDAY at 3:00 PM EST. Check it out here.
    Dismiss Notice

GSP has never met an opponent he could not defeat. Objectively how is he not the greatest? | Page 3

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by PrideisRizin, Feb 21, 2017.

1. spannered Real men don't wear belts

spannered
    Ironically, Jones became a decision machine who played it rather safe at the exact same age GSP started to do the same. It's too long ago for most fans to remember (actually, most wouldn't have been watching the sport back then), but GSP was nicknamed 'Rush' for a reason during the first half of his career. He was taking out everyone in the first round.

Probably no coincidence that they both train under Greg Jackson and turned to safety/win first fighters.

2. Migdagen Orange Belt

Migdagen
    There are no clear GOAT
    GSP has only faced once a good strikers with great TDD, which is his kryptonite. Anderson is the most exceptional fighter ever (he does things that seems impossible), but he has difficulty with other great strikers (and wrestlers until more recently). As per Fedor, he had luck on his side in many of the fights he won. Aldo lost the most important fight of his carer in 13 seconds. Jones is undefeated, but he cheats a bit more than others... Conor has great skills, but he is too busy making side shows. BTW, I am a big fan of them all! They make/made MMA more exiting than any other sport.

A.S. Deep likes this.
  3. superpunch Brown Belt

superpunch
    He beat people by technicalities. Is he the greatest UFC athlete? Maybe.

Who knows how he would do in real fights though? He never finished any so he could get clobbered in rounds 6,7,8.. whatever. We don't have that same question with guys like Anderson and Fedor. We know they were the best fighters, not just athletes, in their divisions.

4. Bluntforce420 Purple Belt

Bluntforce420
    I cant think of one fight during his title reign that you would say he fought where his opponents were strongest. I mean he out wrestled good wrestlers but thats it

Hughes - wrecked him standin up one fight for sure, a little foggy on GSPs other win against him. Hughes sucked standing tho

Fitch - Gsp advantage everywhere

BJ 2- took BJ down, BJ was worst on his back

Alves - GSP wrestled him

Hardy - wrestlefucked

Kos - i might give that one, Kos best chance to win was standing and GSP wrecked him standing

Shields - Gsp kept it standing

Condit - wrestlefucked

Diaz - wrestlefucked (though not as much as some would say)

Hendricks - GSP didnt control where the fight took place for once

Serra 2 - who cares

5. TheIrishPsycho Brown Belt

TheIrishPsycho
    Actually USADA cleared him, but you know, make up whatever bullshit helps you sleep at night bro - I could give a shit.

ElJuanHubbard likes this.
  6. Echo_Bliss WHAT?!

Echo_Bliss
    BURN!!!

And true dat.
    It matters but isn't the end all be all. If those fights lasted an hour, he would have beaten them for an hour. if the fights lasted 3 hours, he would have eventually finished them. The concept is called victory through attrition and it works. Maybe it isn't your favorite style but it isn't invalid. By the same token, I don't care for TKO stoppages, I think they should wait for a full, clean and flush KO, the fighters know the risks of fighting and TKO is often controversial stoppages. I think the only "real" victory is to make your opponent submit. There is no greater victory than making someone else scream "I QUIT!!". But all victories are victories.

GSP's decisions weren't tainted like many fighter's decisions were. His were domination.

7. faustian THE LOOSE CANNON

faustian
    lmao yeah I remember my first beer

sangreporsangre likes this.
  8. Garnett Silk Levels 5 and 6 in EA UFC 2 are beneath me

Garnett Silk
    Jones' best wins?

An undefeated Cormier
    A 1 loss and vastly improved Gustaffson
    An undefeated and dangerous Ryan Bader
    Undefeated at LHW Glover Teixera
    A just crowned UFC champ Shogun
    A dominant and still dangerous Machida
    Rampage Jackson and Vitor Belfort were both on tears before Jones finished them

$uicideboy$ likes this.
  9. Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

Senzo Tanaka
    It's the way he won. Jake Shields has one of the best resumes in MMA and no one considers him a GOAT because of his style.

I think GSP is in for a rude awakening. He can beat guys like Bisping (maybe) that are old school but the sport has caught up to him. He won't be anything special when he comes back and with the new judging, he won't get away with his previous style.

10. Mga223 Gold Belt

Mga223
    Got caught on PED's in his prime.

That's unforgivable

faustian likes this.
  11. USAUSA1 Blue Belt

USAUSA1
    And he's only 29, if he stay out of trouble he has another 5-10 years. Incredible

12. EL Capitan Brown Belt

EL Capitan
    It's gsp and jones for me.

13. Kung Fu Tze Team Groove Belt

Kung Fu Tze
    St Pierre is top 3 GOAT !!! And greatest 170 there will ever be !!!

14. listrahtes Green Belt

listrahtes
    Sure he won against Hardy but that was a pretty terrible performance against a at best top10 challenger that showed how weak his submission game is. Against Shiels who has retard stand up he also did not look good. GSP is a great fighter, one of the best but If I look back he really has very very few impressive wins (Fitch was impressive!). No comparisons to guys like Shogun or Fedor who put it all on the table and risked much more.

I really do like GSP but lets say Shogun vs. Rampage is much more interesting than the highlight of GSPs whole career.

15. PrideisRizin White Belt

PrideisRizin
    . Thanks for the correction! Edited. You learn something new everyday! I was just looking for the opposite of subjective. Unsubjectivly sounded right !

16. tatsuke Blue Belt

tatsuke
    Fucking wonderful.

upload_2017-2-21_19-12-55.png

17. B0mbSquad Green Belt

B0mbSquad
    He dominated, but often did so inflicting little damage. If you're fighting someone and don't do damage or attempt to finish, I find that to be an exploitation of the rules more than dominating the bout.

18. Nukes Reality Check

Nukes
    GSP was an amazing fighter who outpointed 99% of his opponents in order to win.

Realistically, he got his ass whooped by Hendricks and only won because judges and MMA judging in general is fucking retarded and everyone not biased can see it.

To me he's one of the GOATs but dear god I do NOT miss watching him fight. He's fucking boring as shit and can't finish a fucking meal since he got rekt by Serra. Everyone's super excited about his comeback... what for? To watch him blanket someone while doing 0 damage again? Thanks but no thanks.

19. El Chapo LEGEND

El Chapo
    Some people think not giving a fuck about weightclasses and fighting Monsters that can sleep you with one punch (when you could easily cut to MW.) matters. I'm one of them.

20. B0mbSquad Green Belt

B0mbSquad
    It's dominant to control your opponent for 5 rounds without inflicting damage or attempting to finish, but the lethality of a fighter is a defining factor. GSP beat tougher competition than Fedor or Anderson, but what's his trademark win? Beating down a couple LWs? I'd say submitting Matt Hughes after TKOing him. Impressive, but he had 1 more finish over the next 5 years of his title reign. None of his bouts stand out like Fedor's war with Cro Cop or Anderson vs Vitor. It's these legendary individual performances that create a GOAT.