TV Show Thread (Dark Matter Cancelled; Killjoys Renewed; Kit Harrington's Gunpowder Teaser)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, May 22, 2017.

1. Dragonlordxxxxx

Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator Staff Member

Dragonlord's Review of Marvel's INHUMANS on IMAX

Bottom Line: I must have done something wrong in my past life to be subjected to this atrocity.

[​IMG]

The first two episodes of Marvel's Inhumans are screened on IMAX ahead of its September 29 premiere date on ABC. Save your money and don't waste your time in this godawful money grab.

It starts with an Inhuman girl being chased by a group of heavily-armed mercenaries in a rainforest in Hawaii. Trident (Mike Moh) tries to save the girl but both end up getting shot. This whole segment is so laughably bad with some cringeworthy dialogue to boot. The girl's acting is so atrocious. When she's supposed to be running for her life, she looked like she was leisurely jogging through a park. The quality control is so pitiful that when a bleeding Trident falls off a cliff, the water that splashes around his body is already colored red.

After that debacle, we moved to the cloaked Inhuman city of Attilan located on the surface of the moon. We are introduced to the Royal Family: The king, Black Bolt (Anson Mount); the queen Medusa (Serinda Swan); Black Bolt's brother, Maximus (Iwan Rheon); the King's adviser, Karnak (Ken Leung); head of the Royal Guard, Gorgon (Eme Ikwuakor), the princess; Crystal (Isabelle Cornish) and the royal pet and teleporter, Lockjaw, which looks like a giant bulldog.

[​IMG]

The story is not bad, but formulaic and just badly executed. The action looked amateurish even for TV standards. Maximus stages a coup but the Royal Family escapes to Earth thanks to Lockjaw. The Attilan scenes were kinda decent. The sets were iffy, half of them looked satisfactory while the other half looked really cheap, bare and unimaginative. The whole thing goes downhill fast when the Royal Family arrives on Earth. Each of them separated and displaced throughout Hawaii. Each of them have their own boring arcs.

Since Black Bolt does not talk, Anson does what he can with his limitations. When he's not glowering and scowling, Black Bolt communicates through sign language. His fish-out-water adventures on Earth is played for comedic effect which does not always succeed. I was amused at his facial reactions in the police precinct though.

The special effects on Medusa's hair is just terrible and just makes the beautiful Serinda look like a drag queen. The hair looks as bad on the big screen as it did on the trailers. Maximus shaving Medusa's hair is the best thing that could have happened to her. Medusa looked a thousand times better with a shaved head than when she had her locks.

[​IMG]

With his candidness (tactlessness) and his ability to sense weak points, Karnak is the "best" and most entertaining character among them all. One of the rare cool moments of the show was when Karnak visualize multiple scenarios and outcomes of a battle. (But I still believe Joe Taslim or Ben Whishaw would have killed it as Karnak.)

After his memorable stint as Ramsay Bolton in Game of Thrones, Iwan's Maximus seemed so tame and generic. It doesn't help that Maximus is written like the typical evil brother grabbing power. As for the rest of the Inhumans, Gorgon is dull, Crystal is so pretty to look at and Lockjaw is adorable.

Clocking in at a disappointing 75 minutes, Inhumans is unsatisfactory viewing and everything about it doesn't deserve to be shown in a cinema. Marvel should stop hiring Scott Buck who wrote this piece of crap and is also the showrunner for the much-derided Iron Fist season one. Marvel Television should be ashamed for transforming this once-potentially awesome franchise into one of the worst superhero shows in modern TV history.

Rating: 3.5/10

Halge likes this.
  2. Dragonlordxxxxx

Brenton Thwaites Cast as Dick Grayson a.k.a. Robin in TITANS Live-Action Series

[​IMG]

DC Comics and Greg Berlanti have found their Dick Grayson. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' Brenton Thwaites has been cast in the lead role as the Boy Wonder in straight-to-series drama Titans. The show will debut in 2018 on the DC Comics-branded digital platform.

Titans is a live-action drama series that follows a group of young soon-to-be superheroes recruited from every corner of the DC Universe. The story revolves around Dick Grayson, who emerges from the shadows to become the leader of a fearless band of new heroes, including Starfire (Anna Diop), Raven (Teagan Croft) and more. Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns and Sarah Schechter will exec produce.

Comic readers know Dick Grayson as Batman's famous sidekick, Robin. After Dick's parents were murdered, Bruce Wayne became Dick's legal guardian and trained him to fight crime beside him. But after years as part of the Dynamic Duo, Dick struggled to find his place outside the Dark Knight's shadow. Finally striking out as his own man, he emerges as a leader, mentor and father figure to his new family, the Titans.

"Dick Grayson is one of the most important and iconic heroes in the DC Universe, and it wasn't easy to find him but we have. Brenton has the emotional depth, heart, danger and physical presence of Batman's former protege and the Titans' future leader. We're extremely lucky he's chosen to bring his talents to this project and this character," Johns said.

Thwaites' credits also include The Giver and Maleficent and next has features Interview With God, Office Uprising and Ghosts of War.

Brenton Thwaites to Star in Greg Berlanti's DC Drama 'Titans'

3. Dragonlordxxxxx

TRUE DETECTIVE Season 3 Officially a Go at HBO with Nic Pizzolatto as the Lone Writer

[​IMG]

It's official: HBO is moving forward with a third season of anthology True Detective.

Nic Pizzolatto will serve as the lone writer on the season save for David Milch, who co-wrote the fourth episode. (An episode count has not yet been revealed.)

Pizzolatto, who created the series, will serve as showrunner and direct alongside relative newcomer Jeremy Saulnier. Executive producers include Pizzolatto, Saulnier, Scott Stephens and season one stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey as well as original director Cary Joji Fukunaga. Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown will also be credited as exec producers.

Season three will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.

As previously announced,Oscar winner Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) will topline season three as Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

'True Detective' Season 3 Officially a Go at HBO; Nic Pizzolatto Will Be the Lone Writer

4. 2GunTommy

2GunTommy Black Belt

John Singletons series Snowfall on FX is sick right now.
    About the beginning of the crack epidemic and the CIA involvement.

Loiosh likes this.
  5. Dragonlordxxxxx

6. Dragonlordxxxxx

DARK MATTER Cancelled at Syfy After Three Seasons

[​IMG]

There won't be more Dark Matter at Syfy. The NBCUniversal cabler has canceled the drama after three seasons, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Co-creator Joseph Mallozzi announced the cancellation in a blog post Friday. "It is with great sadness that I confirm the news. Syfy has cancelled Dark Matter after three seasons. To say that I’m incredibly disappointed would be an understatement," he wrote. "I just want to extend a heartfelt thanks to my amazing crew, my wonderful cast, and to all of you, our incredible fans. You all deserved better."

The news comes a week after the third season finale of Dark Matter.

Mallozzi created the hourlong with Paul Mullie based on their comic book of the same name. The Canadian drama centered on a group of six people who wake up with amnesia aboard a starship. With no memories of their previous lives, they set about trying to determine who they are and what happened to them.

'Dark Matter' Canceled at Syfy After 3 Seasons

Loiosh likes this.
  7. Dragonlordxxxxx

KILLOYS Renewed for Final Two Seasons at Syfy

[​IMG]

Syfy is plotting an end game for Killjoys. The NBCUniversal cabler has picked up the sci-fi series for two final seasons, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The 20-episode pickup for seasons four and five comes hours ahead of the season three finale, airing Friday evening. The series follows a trio of interplanetary bounty hunters – rebel leader Dutch (Hannah John-Kamen), tech-savvy John Jaqobis (Aaron Ashmore), and tactical D’avin Jaqobis (Luke MacFarlane) – on the brink of a multiplanetary war.

Series creator Michelle Lovretta exec produces the series with Karen Troubetzkoy, S. David Fortier and Ivan Schneeberg. The series hails from Boat Rocker Studios' Temple Street and Universal Cable Productions. The fourth season is set to debut in 2018.

“Helmed by Lovretta and driven by the superb storytelling, we are excited to bring Killjoys back for two final seasons,” said Bill McGoldrick, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment exec vp of scripted development. “Tonight’s game-changing season finale sets the tone for the final chapters of our bounty hunter’s space adventures and we cannot wait for our talented cast and crew to bring to life what is sure to be an epic journey that will leave our passionate fans on the edge of their seats.”

The news comes shortly after Syfy pulled the plug on another original drama, Dark Matter, after three seasons.

'Killjoys' Renewed for Final Two Seasons at Syfy

8. Ippy

Ippy Ik ben Groot.

I know I had an unpopular opinion here, but I think I always enjoyed Killjoys more than Dark Matter.

9. Dragonlordxxxxx

I agree with 66% of your statement.

Dark Matter season 1 > Killjoys season 1
    Killyjoys seasons 2 & 3 > Dark Matter seasons 2 & 3

For me, it just wasn't the same after they killed One. Plus the Corporate Wars was not very interesting. They should have gone for something else for their major arc.

10. Ippy

Ippy Ik ben Groot.

One/Corso was never the most compelling lead, and his actor was barely passable, at best. If anything, Dark Matter improved by him leaving.

JadeOwl likes this.
  11. Dragonlordxxxxx

For me, One was what made the whole team a bit more enjoyable.

Organic Damage and Tobago Jones like this.
  12. Ippy

Ippy Ik ben Groot.

Ah, for me, that was Five.

13. Dragonlordxxxxx

Five is awesome.

JadeOwl likes this.
  14. Dragonlordxxxxx

@Ippy @Tobago Jones Thought you might like these. They're always trying to find ways to cut cost. Now, they've come up a way to not show actual torture scenes anymore. Well done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<45>

15. Dragonlordxxxxx

[​IMG]

Surrounded by armed warriors
    [​IMG]

Turns around
    [​IMG]

Fighting sounds can be heard
    [​IMG]

Turns back around. Fighting over.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<45>

Loiosh, Organic Damage, Ippy and 3 others like this.
  16. Jesus X

Jesus X Silver Belt

I quit watching dark matter like in episode 5 of this season it had so much potential with the finale of season 2 for am epic but didn't move forward in a fun direction.

Dragonlordxxxxx likes this.
  17. Jesus X

Jesus X Silver Belt

I could even stand a single episode of this season of kill joys.

18. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

Hopefully they use him in the movies.

19. Tobago Jones

Tobago Jones #HalaWales

Killjoys renewed but Dark Matter is cancelled, there is no justice in this world.

Too soon <Lmaoo>

Joe_Armstrong likes this.
  20. Dragonlordxxxxx

Trailer for STAR WARS REBELS Season 4, Returns October 16