1. Fresh off her huge victory at UFC Fight Night 105, Randa Markos returns to Sherdog for her second LIVE Q&A, FRIDAY at 3:00 PM EST. Check it out here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why haven't we really advanced much as a species lately? | Page 5

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by JUST BLEED GOD, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Possum Jenkins Red Belt

Possum Jenkins
    We've made an absurd amount of progress. The last 300 years have been outstanding in most spheres.

[​IMG]

The question is, why did we spend the previous 10,000 so ignorant? It's pretty much settled that humans have had the same cognitive capacity for thousands of years, yet we're only now beginning to fully use it.

2. adam199 Green Belt

adam199
    Change takes a long time. Although, you could argue that we've made more breakthroughs in physics/science over the last 100 years than the previous 1000 years combined.

3. Pwent Five Star Man

Pwent
    i dont think you realize how amazing smartphones+internet is, technologically speaking. it doesnt matter that most people use it for bullshit purposes

the printing press doesnt mean shit in comparison. pretty much everyone in developed countries are now interconnected and communicate instantly. i could be in the middle of bumfuck nowhere utah, but if i have a question, i can instantly access something a professor in london blogged about 5 years ago.

if one person sees something unusual/interesting, they could show millions of people instantly.

humanity advances at the speed of communication. our big advancements come with advances in communication. the first big one was speech, because we could communicate our ideas. the next one was writing, because our ideas and inventions now lasted longer than a generation, and we could build on each other. the next one was the printing press, now its internet+smartphones

communication means we dont all have to learn independently, if someone invents something, we instantly all know it as well and can build on top of their invention, rather than starting from scratch.

4. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are

cooks1
    You realize this is not due to any change in the top end life span of humans, right? The maximum human life span has not changed at all in the last 10,000 years.

90% of the increase in life expectancy is due to dramatic improvements in infant mortality. We just have a tiny fraction of the babies dying in less than 6 months.

5. Pwent Five Star Man

Pwent
    our ability to communicate ideas

if someone invented something in his village in the mountains, it would last maybe a generation and then be forgotten. with writing, the next generation already starts where the previous generation left off, and can build on top of it.

basically we can invent smartphones because each generation doesnt have to re-invent how to conduct electricity, metalworking etc. and work from bronze age->digital age every generation

as technology advances, our ability to communicate technology advances and it just keeps accelerating exponentially

6. Pwent Five Star Man

Pwent
    also should remind you that we are using remote controlled, nuclear powered robots to draw dicks on mars and most people are so unimpressed they forgot that we are exploring other planets via livestream

[​IMG]

7. Possum Jenkins Red Belt

Possum Jenkins
    Yes.

The dramatic decrease in infant and child death is due to dramatic improvements in public health, which is a result of the Industrial Revolution, the Enlightenment, and so on.

8. Possum Jenkins Red Belt

Possum Jenkins
    Yeah, but why couldn't we come up with the printing press, the internal combustion engine, electricity, and all the other things around, say, 5,000 BC? The Stone Age lasted forever, then we slowly went into the Bronze Age, then the Iron Age and so on. But last 300 years, and especially the last 100 years, have seen knowledge completely skyrocket.

I've never really heard a convincing argument why so fast and so concentrated.

9. sub_thug Black Belt

sub_thug
    It was definitely the central planning that got the Soviet Union and China. The USSR didn't even try to be democratic, and the Chinese aren't exactly taking it seriously either. Both countries had abysmal human rights, and neither helped the environment much at all. Nothing about their models has been sustainable, and it still hasn't worked.

None of those countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, and the Netherlands) are export-dependent. And, as you pointed out, they are smaller populations that are mostly homogenous. Let's be real too. They aren't huge international players, so they don't need to spend much on things like militaries, military/foreign aid, and the sort. They are content to focus solely on themselves, but if we were to do that, people would be trying to shame us for being isolationists, not to mention that the Russians, Chinese, etc. would just expand without anyone to check them. So I have virtually no hope that what works for them would work for us. We have too many requirements and a totally different business model, so analogous thinking would only serve to destroy ourselves.

Do you really think that we will start distributing resources globally for everyone to have part-ownership in? If that's not idealism, I truthfully don't know what is. We are not going to start singing kumbaya and holding hands, and furthermore, most people on this planet don't even want that. For some, their ideal society is living 500 years in the past. For others, they want power, so they will do anything to anyone to get it, even if benevolence would mean that all their lives would improve.

I don't think that there has to be no regulation or no incentives for it to still be capitalism. I like to limit such things, and I like to avoid central planning. I think that's reasonable. Limiting the powers of the Federal Reserve sounds like a really good idea to me, but I am not such an ideologue that I think we need to abolish it and return to the gold standard. But there is certainly a line that should not be crossed, and if the government tries to predict market behavior, it will inevitably fail. And then we all get less.

cooks1 likes this.
  10. Squall Leonhart SeeD Commander

Squall Leonhart
    Because people will disagree about what progress really is.

JUST BLEED GOD likes this.
  11. sub_thug Black Belt

sub_thug
    There is a study of human development. Major milestones seem to exponentially occur. 20,000 years to invent fire, 10,000 years to invent the wheel, so on and so forth. As technology continues at this pace, we will eventually see such a spike that milestone events will occur faster than our ability to perceive them.

12. DynamicLoosener Grass Fed Free Range Dolce Belt

DynamicLoosener
    90's was the golden era of cars, thats why street racers buy 90's cars. I miss my Supra and 3000GT

JUST BLEED GOD likes this.
  13. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are

cooks1
    Getting the entire planet to coordinate maximum efficiency of the planetary resources won't be happening for a long time. But even if individual countries did it for their own purposes, and for the benefit of their own people, that would get us a lot of the way there. But until America gets 80%-90% of the profits from it's natural resources, and private industry get's 10% to 20%, and not the other way around, the people are getting short changed.

Look at the really, really wealthy nations in the world. Whether they are democracies or dictatorships. Look at the ones that take in the most money, regardless of whether they invest it in their country or hide it in tunnels. They all have one thing in common. Those nations keep the lions share of the profit from their natural resources.

14. sub_thug Black Belt

sub_thug
    I agree that there's some disparity in the system, and that disparity isn't necessarily a good thing. But it's not as bad as it sounds. People say things like "corporations this" and "industry that," but it's really not a fair statement in some ways. Because who owns a publically traded company? Lots of people! Anyone who has invested and bought shares has some claim to the company's success or failures. I don't have to work for Johnson and Johnson to take part in their successes as the largest pharma company in the world. I just have to keep owning their stock. So when big businesses make money, lots of us make money. When things like economic recessions happen, I look at those like business opportunities. Sure, a lot of people get scared and pull their money out of the market. Not me! I invest every cent that I can so that when the markets come back up, I make money. If I had a few extra bucks to throw in, I could have been a millionaire after 2008. Had I not been a bonehead and missed a few picks, I could be a multimillionaire. But that's on me. Who knows about tomorrow though? I might make a good decision, make my millions, have my own private island, and then I could buy Sherdog. And isn't that the dream?

15. Seriously-Dead wubbalubbadubdub

Seriously-Dead
    Information accrual is cumulative and non linear. This applies to both societies over time and individuals (e.g. eurika moments and disruptive technologies).

You could also argue that information accrual is largely a product of social mobility and access to information. Prior to the 1800s even basic skills like reading ability were confined to the upper class and clergy. Societies prior to modern day were very suppressive and hierarchical in contrast to today's.

You could argue that one of the most important disruptive technologies was public education for the masses. Not only primary school, but public libraries and public universities. Once basic skills and information were disseminated to the public, technological and scientific advances quickly followed. Then those advances led to things like automation and production lines, which freed up even more people from basic labor allowing more people to pursue higher education while having basic needs met.

Society is currently at risk of stagnation again if we don't adapt to the new wave of automation led by AI. The next disruptive shift needs to maximize investment in less profitable and more risky scientific advances in order to open opportunities for new generations to find meaningful and useful work - otherwise the incentive to educate the public will wain.

Big risky goals with low immediate payoff, like the Apollo missions in the 60s, led to a whole wack of technological discoveries we are still benefiting from. We need to start dedicating major resources to projects like it again. Likewise if we don't concurrently promote social mobility and systemically reduce investment in education, we end up limiting the talent pool and subsequent discoveries.

16. lifelessheap Red Belt

lifelessheap
    Life isn't about stuff. Have a fulfilling career and a family and you are set.

Life is 100% meaningless if you don't have a family to live for.

17. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are

cooks1
    Come on now. It's every bit as bad as it sounds. The nation is being exploited. People should not have to buy stock in a company that extracts a nations natural resources to benefit from it.

Oil is a precious, extremely valuable natural resource. As are many other commodities pulled out of the ground. The nation as a whole should be getting 80%-90% of the profits of the oil and other natural resources that come out of our ground and seabed. Whether you prefer to do it by nationalizing the industry or using the tax code, I don't care.

Again, I point you to the richest nations in the world. Regardless of their form of government, how they treat their people, or any other variable, regardless of whether they use the money for good, evil, or squander it. Regardless of whether they nationalize the industry, or just tax the fuck out of it, they all have one thing in common. Those nations are the primary financial beneficiaries of their natural resources. Not other entities.

Seriously-Dead likes this.
  18. JUST BLEED GOD Judging

JUST BLEED GOD
    This reply is just ridiculous.

Why are you still hanging around if you don't need your body to be alive.

Squall Leonhart likes this.
  19. guard_passer Green Belt

guard_passer
    we don't need to be physically strong or fit anymore to be successful. eventually it won't be necessary at all, when consciousness can be uploaded and downloaded

20. JUST BLEED GOD Judging

JUST BLEED GOD
    That statement is as realistic as people in the 70s thinking we'll be living in space colonies by 2020.