1. Fresh off her huge victory at UFC Fight Night 105, Randa Markos returns to Sherdog for her second LIVE Q&A, FRIDAY at 3:00 PM EST. Check it out here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why haven't we really advanced much as a species lately? | Page 6

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by JUST BLEED GOD, Feb 22, 2017.

1. The_Unnatural Blue Belt

The_Unnatural
    Its simple really, its profit over everything. Since everything can be patented and every little object costs thousands of dollars. Technology and innovation is lagging behind because individuals want to get paid first.

2. The_Unnatural Blue Belt

The_Unnatural
    Also religion, since religion states mankind shouldn't try to be greater than god. Being stupid is easier.

3. sub_thug Black Belt

sub_thug
    Oil is useful as a form of fuel or as a lubricant. It's commoditization is exactly why it has value at all. And who is "the nation?" Should we all get money like the Alaskans do? Should the government just collect a ton of money? Who is going to actually do the drilling and refining of said oil? Should the government buy an oil company or start its own a la Saudi Aramco? It's not enough to say that we should all benefit. You have to specify how. My recommendation is through stock for anyone that wants to buy in.

I can buy into whatever stock I want right now. If I want to invest my money in Solar City because I believe in solar electricity, regardless of the company's variance on the NYSE, I can do that. I can even make some money off them. I don't have to support the oil industry at all. That's my choice to make, and I'm glad that I live in a system where I can make those kinds of choices.

4. Reyesnuthugr belt

Reyesnuthugr
    I've been boiling about this exact thing for a while now (can you tell?), sorry you had to be the next guy I saw who said it.

I'll take it as a compliment that you think I'm over 40. I'm not even touching fourty yet, although the margins are narrowing with every passing minute. I love sounding like an old man, I complained and wrote essays about grunge culture in the 90's during the peak of the actual thing while in highschool and how it was probably just a corporate attempted re-hash of the 60's (looks like I was right).

Anyways, you gotta learn to embrace the festering elderly vitriol- it's actually cool now!

---

Also one other thing I wanted to mention-- it's not the kids' fault. This trash culture is brought to you by the previous generations. They're the ones pushing this new reality-tv cutthroat backstabbing paradigm as the new "savvy" (i.e. 'that guy's not a mean trashy asshole to be avoided or shunned from doing business with, he's being a genius to be emulated and adored by lying and cheating to sell himself and everyone out, sinking the company/industry'). It makes me sick, because that kind of thinking undoes all the main benefits of civilization in the first place.

The new batch of millennials are just the unfortunate unwitting social-engineering targets/trustful slaves.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017