Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Limbo Pete, Feb 4, 2017.
I'm not well educated in philosophy but I have the interest & aptitude, would.
Sorry, didn't mean to quote your post. Was trying quote the post above yours.
@Pwent, I'm offering you a debate where I take the position that American policy is improving the lives of black America. Or something similar. Generally, that things are improving. We can narrow it down and find a point of disagreement.
@Limbo Pete @JDragon @Lead
Based on the previous debates, they really don't look that fun
Well, just thought I would offer, since you're bathing yourself in the assumption that I won't discuss things (I usually don't discuss things with you, true).
I'll help out however you need me bud.
...anything on new upcoming debates? WR threads are becoming very 'lame'.
You are welcome to stay out of them...
We're working on it right now
Feel free to throw out any ideas or suggestions for debates
1. President Trump will increase America's power and influence.
2. The United States should return to the Gold Standard
3. The rise of nationalism in Europe is a good thing.
4. Globalism is a force for good
5. The Iran Nuclear Treaty should be dissolved and remade - CLOSED
6. Noncitizens living in the United States, including those not legally here, should be protected by the United States Constitution.
7. The South was justified in seceding from the Union - CLOSED
8. Roe v Wade should be upheld - CLOSED
9. The US should put boots on the ground against ISIS
10. US economic policy should emphasize Laissez faire capitalism
11. Marijuana has medicinal benefit that warrants decriminalization nationally
12. There is no legal basis to ban assault weapons
13. Secular debate on abortion
14. Institutional racism no longer exists in the United States - CLOSED
Nothing from the original list. The 'South was justified in seceding from the Union' was excellent. I did have my 'debate' regarding how 'Germany could have won WWII' on another thread, but it was weak.
One topic of interest now is the "Women in Combat" issue. Women can now serve in combat Infantry units and 'try' to join the U.S. Navy SEALs and U.S. Army Special Forces. The schools are now open for them. A lot of folks are against that, including me. A lot of pros-and-cons on that debate.
We could definitely look at a WW2 history debate
'War Room' threads continue to be lame. Soo many 'jerks'. A few exceptions here and there. I miss our days of the American Civil War debate...
I think your idea of a WW2 prompt could be great, we just need to narrow it down into an appropriate question point. I think part of why civil war worked was because the framing kept them from talking past each other. With something like this, it's not about who is "right" but rather who can build a good thesis and support it with strong analysis.
Something just hit me
Since, eh, socialism is such a popular topic, and there are various threads lately dealing with not only that but also American interventionism, we could look at US sponsored coups of various goverments. Specifically thinking of central/south america. We could debate US justification for US involvement in, say, Guatemala or Chile.
This is an area I am very comfortable building and moderating a debate for.
You immediately jumped to mind as maybe being interested in something like that
Lots of self-proclaimed lawyers around here. I'll challenge any of them wishing to defend whatever justification the legal professionals use to allow for the prevailing interpretation of the Commerce Clause. In an effort to entice, let me say that lawyers who don't speak out against it (due to it being a disgusting usurpation of state's rights/sovereignty) are confirmation that the profession deserves its scumbag reputation.
So you're either with me or against me. Bring it.
I like it!
...and Nicaragua, Brazil, and Argentina.
Absolutely. I've been asking around a bit, but haven't had any takers thus far... which sucks because I know a lot of people around here feel very strongly about anything involving communism.
Would you be interested in debate with this theme?